Angela Gers, vice president of the American Marketing Association organization at the College of Business, strives to make the most of every educational opportunity—from classrooms to events like the Wertheim Lecture Series.
She was particularly inspired by the recent lecture presented by Manuel D. Medina, chair and CEO, Medina Capital Partners.
“In his lecture entitled ‘Intensive Training for Entrepreneurial Success,’” Medina focused on offering great advice that applies equally well to our personal and professional lives,” Gers said.
She took notes and shared the recommendations that particularly inspired her:
- Always have a positive attitude—and that is something you should apply every day at work and away from work
- Create your own brand—and build that brand on being reliable, keeping your word and fostering trust
- Stay fit—and that means staying fit inside and out because you need to feel good about yourself to succeed in every aspect of your life and work
- Have a sense of humor—because humor is a door opener but remember to know the boundaries and never be a clown
- Keep yourself humble—something you always need to keep in mind when you are surrounded by business leaders and entrepreneurs
Gers loves that last recommendation.
“I’ll always remember Medina saying, ‘You’re not the last Coca-Cola in the desert,’” she said.
The networking—and the learning—continues after the lecture.
More than 160 students and members of the South Florida entrepreneurial community attended the main lecture.
Afterward, about 20 undergraduate students were invited to sit down with Medina for lunch and a continued discussion. David R. Klock, dean of the business school, joined the group.
“It’s getting this kind of chance to meet in person with entrepreneurs and business leaders that rounds out our education experience here—and can leave you truly inspired,” Gers said.
Since 1993, the ongoing Herbert A. Wertheim Lecture Series has brought distinguished speakers and experts in business leadership and entrepreneurship to Florida International University (FIU).