FIU alumna Katie Jane, business woman and singer, scores big for the Miami Heat.

With a title of “account manager, corporate partnerships” for the Miami Heat, Katie Jane (BS ’07) shows companies how the giant LED motion graphic display outside the American Airlines Arena in Miami can deliver their advertising message with enormous results. Jane credits her courses in the College of Business Administration at Florida International University (FIU) with building her business savvy.

“I minored in entrepreneurship, and the business courses have proven to be invaluable,” this talented 25-year-old said. “I have to find my own business, my own accounts. FIU helped give me the skills I need.”

Katie Jane
Katie Jane

Jane said learning business and professional communications is “a must for every student,” regardless of their field of study.

“Plus the research skills I learned help me every day,” she said.

A graduate of G. Holmes Braddock Senior High School in Miami, Jane came to FIU as a scholarship student.

“My college years were incredible, including opportunities to travel to England, China and Paris,” she said.

An FIU career fair during her junior year helped her land a part-time job with an outdoor advertising company. In 2008, The Heat Group hired Jane; her specialized marketing skills were needed to build a client base for the then-new 3,375-square-foot sign.

“This incredible graphic display is seen annually by the arena’s 1.4 million visitors, including Miami Heat fans, and by millions of commuters,” she said.

Oh, say can you see . . . FIU’s Katie Jane!

Jane wowed fans by singing The Star Spangled Banner at two Miami Heat games in 2009.

“A member of the Heat organization encouraged me to audition, and I made it!” she said. “The typical Miami Heat game has 15,000 to 20,000 people so I was nervous. But it was a wonderful experience, both times.”