Young people scramble for jobs

Keith Dixon is looking for a job.

He is 16 and a stundent at Sunset High School in the Kendall area of Miami.

“It is hard but I need to earn money this summer to pay for my senior year,” said Dixon. “I want to go to the prom and Grad Nite and I want  some nice clothes. I have been applying to stores and restaurants.”

Mary Waters has a position at Publix in North Miami Beach. “I feel lucky to have a position. I know a lot of people are looking for work,” said  Waters.

Many young people are now seeking employment. And it can be hard for a younger person to break into the workforce. In March, the unemployment rate for 16 to 19 year olds was nearly 24 percent compared with 19.9 percent in March 2009.

. . .

Sammi Rossin, of Florida International University Career services said that many students won’t take an unpaid internship because they need to work at a paying job. And under federal law, for-profit companies can’t ask people to work for no money.

Read: “Young people scramble for jobs,“ an article from the TheExaminer.com.