It’s not who you know, it’s who knows you, participants at networking workshop learn.

The number of business cards you collect or the length of your email address book doesn’t indicate true connectivity. Rather, business success comes when people know you.

That was a key message in the “Networking Rocks: It’s Not Who You Know, It’s Who Knows You” event held at Florida International University (FIU) on February 9, 2011, hosted by the Business Alumni Chapter (BAC).

The Business Alumni Chapter hosted “Networking Rocks: It’s Not Who You Know, It’s Who Knows You.”

In a lively presentation by entrepreneur and trainer Michelle Villalobos, approximately 40 College of Business Administration alumni and students learned networking skills appropriate for today’s business climate.

Michelle Villalobos
Michelle Villalobos

“‘Networking Rocks’ was incredibly informative,” said Carlos Canales (BBA ’01). “Even though I already felt I knew many traditional networking skills, I learned some new ideas at the workshop. Most of all, I was there to learn more about electronic networking and I did.”

Attendees found out that most people network all wrong, wasting time, energy and money to get few—if any—results. Villalobos presented essential networking strategies to help transform attendees into networking “rock stars.”

Villalobos told the group that networking is the new “social capital” and gave specific ideas on meeting, building and maintaining a network. She also emphasized the importance of referring business to others and being a resource person.

Presentation marks return of Villalobos to campus.

Juan Zambrano, majoring in marketing and management, came to the workshop because he benefited from a previous presentation by Villalobos, also sponsored by BAC.

“I rate her presentations a 10,” he said. “She’s very engaging, and I learned specific skills.”

Zambrano plans to earn a master’s degree in business administration, land a corporate job and later begin his own business.

“The networking skills I learned will help me in both business arenas,” he said.

Michelle R. Joubert (MBA ’10), assistant director, advancement and alumni relations, said Villalobos’ topic was popular and well-received.

“We surveyed alumni that attended her last workshop and they selected this topic,” she said.