A banking executive, an accounting authority, a prominent Spanish-language television journalist, the marketing chief at a national restaurant company, and a commercial real estate leader will be inducted into the 2015 FIU Hall of Fame.
They share a common denominator: their first steps into the business world, the ones that put them on the road to success, were taken at FIU and the College of Business.
This year’s honorees will be recognized at the College of Business’ signature event, the Hall of Fame Awards Ceremony, on October 29.
The 2015 inductees are:
- Manuel “Manny” Medina will receive the Lifetime Achievement Award. As the founder of eMerge Americas, Medina is credited with establishing Miami as the technology hub of the Americas
- Mario de Armas (BAAC ’85), Florida Audit Partner and Market Managing Partner, PwC, will receive the Growth Award. He joined PwC in 1987 as an associate and in 2007 was named Florida Market Managing Partner.
- Francis Hondal (BBA ’87, MBA ’94), executive vice president, Global Consumer Credit and Loyalty Solutions, MasterCard Worldwide, will receive the Global Award. She joined the company in 2011 as the group executive in charge of Global Products & Solutions for Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Jose I. Juncadella (BBA ’81), principal, Fairchild Partners, will receive the Entrepreneurship Award. With more than thirty years of commercial real estate brokerage experience and over $2.5 billion in sales and leasing volume, Jose has established himself as a top commercial real estate professional, responsible for some of the largest leases, sales, and build-to suit transactions concluded in South Florida.
- Michael Kappitt (BAAC ’92), chief marketing officer, Bloomin’ Brands, will receive the Innovation Award. The restaurant chain owns the Outback Steakhouse, Carrabba’s Italian Grill, Bonefish Grill, and Fleming’s Prime Steakhouse brands.
- Pamela Silva Conde (MBA ’12,), co-anchor of Univision Network’s weekday newsmagazine “Primer Impacto,” will receive the Young Alumnus Award. She is also a correspondent for “Aqui y Ahora” and reports for Univision’s network news team.
“This year’s honorees are known for their visionary leadership, integrity and community service,” said Jose Aldrich, acting dean of FIU’s College of Business. “Their participation in our Hall of Fame, which helps support scholarships and co-curricular activities, is an important example of how our FIU College of Business alumni reach back to support the business leaders of tomorrow.”
Medina’s Lifetime Achievement Award recognizes his groundbreaking work in technology and entrepreneurship, as well as his philanthropic and community leadership.
In addition to his role as board chairman of eMerge Americas, Medina is the founder and managing partner of Medina Capital, a private equity firm focused on the technology, cybersecurity, big data, software-as-a-service and mobility markets.
Homegrown business leaders are recognized for their global triumphs.
The Hall of Fame recognizes College of Business alumni who achieved distinction as founders and builders of new business enterprises as well as those who have distinguished themselves at the local, national or global level.
Through their vision and leadership, honorees have made lasting contributions to their companies, their communities, and the College of Business.
Two alumni events in October will highlight a month-long celebration of the College of Business’ 50th anniversary and its 50,000 alumni, including 27,000 in South Florida. The Hall of Fame Alumni Panel will be held October 22nd at 6:30 pm the College of Business and the Hall of Fame dinner October 29th at 6:30 pm the Adrienne Arsht Center.
The roster of Hall of Fame inductees since 2000 includes philanthropist R. Kirk Landon; Dr. Sanford Ziff, Sunglass Hut; Tibor Hollo, Florida East Coast Realty; Alberto Aghion, Zumba Fitness; Benjamin Leon Jr., Leon Medical Centers; Larry Harris, Pollo Tropical; Cesar Alvarez, Greenberg Traurig LLP; and Baptist Health South Florida.
For more information about the Hall of Fame sponsorships visit http://business.fiu.edu/hall-of-fame/ or you may contact Jennifer Quintana, Jcquinta@fiu.edu, or Yanyn San Luis, firstname.lastname@example.org.