This semester, FIU’s Hollo School of Real Estate continued its legacy of bringing students together with South Florida’s accomplished real estate leaders to network and explore career options.
One of these events occurred February 7, 2016, when 11 real estate industry leaders traveled to FIU’s Modesto Maidique Campus to share their experiences and give advice about working in real estate. Nearly 70 undergraduate and graduate real estate students and alumni, equally split between men and women, came to FIU’s Frost Art Museum for the annual event, which is co-sponsored by FIU and Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW).
Suzanne Hollander, a real estate attorney and broker who teaches at the Hollo School, led the event, as she has for the past 7 years. Hollo School Director William Hardin and Adjunct Professors Eileen Cardelle and Paul Black also participated in the event.
“The real estate industry, our students and alumni are proud to participate, share and celebrate the FIU Hollo School’s success,” said Hollander. She shared recent achievements, including the faculty’s #1 ranking in U.S. real estate research in the Real Estate Academic Leadership rankings. The Master of Science in International Real Estate is also among the College of Business’ online Masters programs recently ranked #16 in the nation by U.S. News & World Report in its recent survey of online Masters degree programs.
“These successes incentivize industry leaders to come to campus, see what all the excitement is about, meet with our students and hire them,” said, Hollander, who also serves as co-chair of the UCREW Committee for CREW.
Hardin thanked attendees for their participation.
“This co-operation between CREW, leaders in South Florida’s real estate world, and our university, which leads in higher education, is a great way to ensure that our students develop important connections and cutting-edge insights,” he said.
While the purpose was serious, the event was fun, and included speed networking, with each 12-minute round marked by Hollander ringing a bell like the one that opens Wall Street’s trading day.
At the end of the event, Hollander shared a favorite proverb: “If you light a lamp for someone it will also brighten your own path. Tonight, CREW Members lit the real estate career path for our students.”
CREW Members who participated:
- Marti Mang, SVP, Corporate Lending Total Bank
- Lyan Fernandez, Executive Vice President/Chief Operating Officer, Total Bank
- Cheri Mascitelli, Client Mgr, Commerial Division, Ten X
- Dorris B. Suttin, Broker, Suttin Realty
- Eileen Cardelle, FIU Hollo Schoo Admissions Operations Officer
- Atalya Alkalay, President, Smartart Consulting
- Maria Juncadella, Fairchild Partners, Principal, CCIM, SIOR, MBA
- Wendy Hernandez, Capital Markt Analyst, Colliers Int’l So Fla Brokerage
- Maritz Jamie, Vice President and Chief Credit Officer, Total Bank
- Jacqueline Cruz-Bustillo, AVP/Lender II Corporate Lending Division
- Suzanne Hollander, FIU