FIU Business’ Hall of Fame Class of 2015 is now official. Five outstanding alumni and business icon Manny Medina were honored on October 29, 2015 at the Adrienne Arsht Center’s Ziff Ballet Opera House.
Cheers and applause resonated throughout the ceremony as the inductees – a banking executive, an accounting authority, a prominent Spanish-language television journalist, the marketing chief at a national restaurant company, and a commercial real estate leader – were profiled. Over 400 business, community and academic leaders attended the celebration, the college’s 16th annual Hall of Fame.
“This is a talented, diverse group of business leaders who have made their mark in hospitality, the media, financial services, technology and real estate,” Jose Aldrich, acting dean of FIU’s College of Business, said in his opening remarks. “They are known for their visionary leadership, integrity and community service.”
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Manuel “Manny” Medina, founder of eMerge Americas. Click here for profile video.
- Growth Award: Mario de Armas (BAAC ’85), Florida Market Managing Partner/CFO Mexican Region, PwC. Click here for profile video.
- Global Award: Francis Hondal (BBA ’87, MBA ’94), executive vice president, Global Consumer Credit and Loyalty Solutions, MasterCard Worldwide. Click here for profile video.
- Entrepreneurship Award: Jose I. Juncadella (BBA ’81), principal, Fairchild Partners. Click here for profile video.
- Innovation Award: Michael Kappitt (BAAC ’92), chief marketing officer, Bloomin’ Brands – Outback Steakhouse, Carrabba’s Italian Grill, Bonefish Grill, and Fleming’s Prime Steakhouse. Click here for profile video.
- Young Alumnus Award: Pamela Silva Conde (BS ’03, MBA ’12), co-anchor of Univision Network’s weekday newsmagazine “Primer Impacto.” Click here for profile video.
“Each and every one of them went beyond what was expected of them. They personify what it means to be Worlds Ahead,” said FIU president Mark Rosenberg. “When a business opportunity presented itself, they took the right risk. This is the spirit we seek to instill in our students, each and every day.”
As the 2015 Lifetime Achievement inductee, Medina was honored for his groundbreaking work in technology and entrepreneurship as well as for his philanthropic and community leadership. He has spent more than 30 years as a successful businessman with expertise in technology, finance and international business, and partners with FIU through the Medina Aquarius Project.
“This is one of the biggest honors I have received,” said Medina. “I am a big believer in FIU, which has grown to be one of our most important institutions.”